Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Women in dress

I love the dresses of the women in the royalty, because I think that the way the corse was tightened to the waist it made the body look so beautiful and femenine, and also I feel pain just seeing how tight it was, but I would use that dresses just to look like a hourglass.
 



 The fabrics of the clothes were so beautiful, like silk, velvet and brocade.

Also women had rules of the colours and fabrics that they could use, this was called Sumptuary laws. Elizabeth I continued using this laws after her father and sister.

Rich women had to use certain colours depending on their title. Elizabeth put in her proclamation for the Statues of Apparel Sumptuary Laws for women:





None shall wear

Any cloth of gold, tissue, nor fur of sables: except duchesses, marquises, and countesses in their gowns, kirtles, partlets, and sleeves; cloth of gold, silver, tinseled satin, silk, or cloth mixed or embroidered with gold or silver or pearl, saving silk mixed with gold or silver in linings of cowls, partlets, and sleeves:
 
except all degrees above viscountesses, and viscountesses, baronesses, and other personages of like degrees in their kirtles and sleeves.

You could see the rest of it in here Elizabeth's Laws

I think this laws were to know the rank and privilege of all people. Also I think this was so racist, but we have to realize that those days were a little different from now.

If you want, leave a comment to let me know what you think! 

2 comments:

  1. For me the fashion and clothing in different times is so important and iconic, because symbolize and represents a lot of the period and gives a lot of information about its cultures and peoples beliefs, Just like now we use to make stereotypes about the way people dress and gives an image about themselves, so we can suspect than the same could happend in that time, but that was more estricted, just like your explaining :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with Ingebhorgd, but I can`t agree with Alondra in using the dresses. I couldn`t!!
    Just thinking in how many time do I have to have to dress up in the morning, or how many people have to help me, just to fit in the dress…..No!
    I prefer comfort and flexibility of these days’ clothes and fabrics.
    I think that is classicism, no racism. Even though actually we don`t have this prohibitions (about clothes), we still tend to classified peoples for what their wear (For example: “flaites” or “punk”).
    Unconscious, we classified every single thing we saw. Stereotypes!!

    ReplyDelete