Friday, May 2, 2014

"MAPUCHE`S CULTURE, ALIMAPU, WE TRIPANTU"

 I was very indecisive about what should I write in the blog, but I remembered that a couple of weeks ago, reading my Facebook, and after the fire in Valparaíso, I read something about "Alimapu", that means "ali" burn or dry, and "mapu", land. This is the name that Changos used to call Valparaiso. I also read that Spanish once they know about the location of Chango`s settlement, they devastated and burned everything. Then I started thinking about how far away we are from our own culture, from our own background
I had the pleasure to known a Mapuche couple, and every time we met, I feel like a little girl listening their histories, it`s something magical!. It`s amazing how listening a little bit of the Mapuche`s world view, habits and belief, I felt totally identified!!.
I think that Chileans are always searching for a sense of belonging, because of this breakdown with our roots, and that's why we have lots of urban cultures. 



We Tripantu and the Winter Solstice
One of the things that captured my attention was "we tripantu" that means "new sunrise", the winter solstice, the shortest day and the longest night symbolizes the beginning of the new sowing cycle and it marks the moment of the sun`s rebirth. I believe that this "awareness" of the environment was a common thing in almost every native culture.
All the family members and the community gather together around a fire to eat, tell stories and sing playing kultrun and trutruca. In the dawn they go to the river to wash up any negative thing they`ve picked up through the year. 
To conclude, I believe that rituals are very important, specially in my life, and with the fast rhythm of life that we have, we are leaving them behind .

I also think that Chileans should give up football and start playing Chueca!!! LOL!


Leave me your comments please!!


2 comments:

  1. I liked your point of view Pamela and I am agree with you. We are too far where we belong. It seems to me Chilean culture does not want to remember their origin, like shamed. We are being and teching ignorance to our children, then what will happen in a few years more with knowing and remembering Mapuche culture?.
    Too bad! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked your post Pamela, indeed it makes me remember my days in Puerto Williams, where the city celebrated the longest night with dances, costumes, masks and telling stories related with the Yagan culture. It was an event in which anyone had the opportunity to participate, been part of the spectacle or part of the audience, but finally all the community was part of this enriching and magic celebration. (:

    ReplyDelete