Thursday, May 29, 2014

"THE VALUE OF ACTIONS AND WORDS"

In this entry I want to share with you some quotes that has been going around my head since I read the Martin Luther King`s book

The first one is from his mother: “
It doesn`t matter what other people think, you`re as good as anyone else. Don`t you ever forget that!”

The second one is from Martin Luther Kings ‘father: Segregation is wrong, but things will get better in time. White people will start to think different one day. We should be patient and wait, because you can`t hurry change. It will come, but not soon. We have to wait for it
The last one is from the King If you want to change things, you have to act”
I couldn`t agree more with Martin Luther King!!. I think that should always be like this, we cannot wait that things happen and stay comfortably waiting that things just change in time, especially when we see injustice, segregation or violation of others rights.

Although Martin Luther King and Mahatma Ghandi had as principle, to fight without violence, their speeches, boycotts and protests were ACTIONS, and these actions promoted consciousness and awareness between people to demand equal rights.

“The universe doesn’t give you what you ask for with your thoughts - it gives you what you demand with your actions.” ― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” ― E.F. Schumacher

As King`s parents, my parents also promoted that conviction in me, to speak if I do not agree with something, to raise my voice if my rights are not respected. 
My father was tortured in 1973, he was at the University when militaries arrived and arrested him. He was not able to finish his studies, even when he tried so hard to do it.
Lots of people say to me, even nowadays:  “but he was a communist”, and I replied: “He was not subscribed to any political party, but even if he was, that’s give you the right to arrest someone and torture him, just because he thinks different from you? I don`t think so”
I think that most people in Chile has lot of fears, especially to say what they`re really thinking, or when they have to say “this is wrong or unfair”. When you talk about syndicate, strike, cessation of activities people react negatively, and I think that most of the people are afraid to lose their jobs.

“Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.” ― William James

When I first applied for the scholarship “VocaciĆ³n de profesor” I was sure that I would win it, but I didn`t. I went to MINEDUC and asked the reason and they said that I have already an academic degree, therefore I couldn`t obtained the scholarship, but I mentioned that in the “frequently asked question” there was a question that said the opposite, but when I returned to my house and looked it up, I realized that it was removed. Hopefully I saved a picture with the question and the date, so I send an e-mail to TVN, they called me and they made me an interview for deceptive advertising by the MINEDUC, and then I got the scholarship, because they change the decree in October 2013 and I applied in July 2013.  Anyway, I did everything on my behalf to make it possible, and I succeeded, I didn`t wait, I act!
I can`t compare myself with Martin Luther King, Ghandi or Victor Jara, because the context was a greater deal more adverse than nowadays.

“We know only too well that what we are doing is nothing more than a drop in the ocean. But if the drop were not there, the ocean would be missing something.” ― Mother Teresa

I firmly think that words have an amazing power, they can express hatred or blessing, It came to my mind an episode in Martin`s life when he was a young boy. By accident he walked into a white woman, and she hit him in the face, when someone asked why, she replied “that little bastard stepped on my foot”. Martin`s face hurt, but the name “little black bastard” hurt him even more.
I was shocked when I read this but I agree, “Words can hurt even more”, but they can make a huge difference too:

Kevin Rudd (2008): "To the stolen generation - As a prime minister of Australia I`m sorry, on behalf of the government, I’m sorry On behalf of the parliament of Australia, I am sorry. I offer you this apology without qualification.
We apologize for the hurt, the pain and suffering that we, the parliament, have caused you by the laws that previous parliaments have enacted. We apologize for the indignity, the degradation and the humiliation these laws embodied[...]I know that, in offering this apology on behalf of the government and the parliament, there is nothing I can say today that can take away the pain you have suffered personally. Whatever words I speak today, I cannot undo that. Words alone are not that powerful; grief is a very personal thing. I ask those non-indigenous Australians listening today who may not fully understand why what we are doing is so important to imagine for a moment that this had happened to you”

I want to finish my entry with this amazing quote by Mahatma Gandhi: Your beliefs become your thoughts, your thoughts become your words, your words become your actions, your actions become your habits, your habits become your values, and your values become your destiny.” 

Are you agree with Martin, Ghandi, or you think like Kings`father?
Do you remain in silence, or do you assert your rights?

1 comment:

  1. Pame, I want to tell you that this was an absolutly amazing post, not only because it shows that you made a important research and found sources to support your statements, but because you added an importat self experience that explains presicely want you want to say. I admire your perseverance and strength to confront and injustice, because that little actions are the actions which change the world. Don't let the wrong win, don't let the injustice govern and speak and act everytime you can. I'm glad I read your post, congratulations for your "one's bit" point of view and experience.

    Regards :)
    Inge.

    ReplyDelete