Friday, May 2, 2014

The place where the animals would prefer to live.

In our last activity from Introduction, I have to search about the protection of the wild life in South Africa. 
By the time I was investigating, I was getting more and more interested on the topic, so I saw a video of the animals in the Kruger National Park, the biggest game reserve and biosphere reserve, that covers an area of 19,633 square kilometres in the provinces of Limpopo and Mpumalanga in northeastern of South Africa and I was surprised... Animals living in they natural enviroment, being themselves, running, fighting, sleeping, doing whatever they want to. Elephants, zebras, lions, and rhynos. A lot of differents species, with unique characteristics. ¡How wonderfull is nature!


The truth is that many of the people, in those years, would not get surprised because of the wild animals, they would said "Oh, you can saw the same animals in a zoo, those places looks pretty good, the animals are so close to you, and they look happy."
I want to stop for a minute, and realize the actual situation of the zoos in Chile, we have no laws that govern those places, where the animals get caught with the excuse that is good for us, its educational and in the same time, they entertain us.
I saw an investigation of one non-governmental organization, and I think that the conclussion is easy... Tell me, how would do you feel, if you spend ALL you're life in the same place, with people taking you a lot of photographies, the flashes of the camera, the sounds, the laughs, when there's no time to rest when u feel tired, eating the same things everyday, with no space to extend your muscles and no another place to go?...
I want to share this with all of you, to take awareness, and take a stand on this issue, Zoos, a good place to learn or just a business? Hope you enjoy it and believe me, Kruger National Park is where the animals have and would prefer to live :)


4 comments:

  1. I loved your topic! And you're right, animals have to be in their natural environment or if they are in a zoo, it has to be much more similar to that. It's so sad to see some zoos in Chile which have animals that are stressed and sad, and the owners of the places don't even care about the creatures just are interested in the money they are making with the poor poor animals.

    I hope some day someone will make a law that regulate everything that happens in Zoos and make a more living life to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to share with you a little bit more general video about wild life of this planet. It has a more broad idea but is related with your topic, so I thought that you may be interested in it. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=710025515727565&set=vb.169983389731783&type=2&theater. Hope you all could make a reflection of it.

    I absolutly agree with you message!

    Warm Regards, Inge,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, Chile's zoos are nothing but business. More animals come but the space stays the same, having to adapt to very limited caged rooms, very few other animals of their species (if there are) and basically an unnatural way of living. The awareness regarding any animal topic in our country is almost non-existent, not only in zoos but in circuses and rodeo as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree! I went a couple of times to Quilpue zoo, and it's so sad to see the animals in such a limited space.
    I love animals because all my life I grow up surrounded by them, we had dogs, only one spoiled cat, a goat, three turtles, lots of rabbits, ducks, hens, roosters and chicks. All this pets share the same big backyard, even the dogs. It`s amazing how wise animals can be, and how much love they give.
    I recently saw a documentary about “Chantek “a male orangutan raised as a human child at UTC where a group of Anthropologists taught him sign language and others intellectual skills, Chantek became the only orangutan that has ever learned to communicate with humans. He refers to himself as an orangutan-person.
    After 8 years and a series of “escapes” and “dangerous events”, they sent him to Yerkes Primate Center, under intense captivity in a small cage, he obviously gain weight because the lack of activities and his depression. When one of the anthropologists visited him he said “it hurts” and she ask him “where?”, and he said “feelings”. Chantek spend 11 years in this condition.
    Atlanta zoo accept Chantek after this period, where he live with other orangutans, but he cannot accept them as equals, he calls them “orange dogs”. He has forgotten lots of signs but he still remembers “I love you”.
    I felt very sad because all his sorrow was created by humans. It`s awful how selfish we can be.

    ReplyDelete